Bartell Law handles a wide variety of commercial litigation for corporations, financial firms, trusts, and also officers, directors, and other professionals. The firm's experience is broad, including corporate government disputes, derivative and class actions, environmental litigation, insurance, intellectual property, tax disputes, corporate bankruptcy, breach of contract, fraud, unfair and deceptive practices and other areas.
Representative matters include, for example:
- Representing a hedge fund in objecting to a proposed class action settlement, where officers of the settling company were indicted for securities fraud;
- Defending a national broker-dealer against claims seeking to enjoin the method of allocating hundreds of millions of dollars in redemptions of closed-end fund preferred shares (auction-rate securities);
- Pursuing preference actions against international currency traders on behalf of the Chapter 11 trustee of a bankrupt off-shore broker dealer;
- Bringing claims against a national bank for wrongly depriving a number of former directors of their stock options;
- Defending a trust company against claims of breach of fiduciary duty over a loan by a beneficiary secured by restricted stock;
- Defending a corporation against claims for contribution under CERCLA for liability for a Superfund Site;
- Bringing claims for coverage against an insurer for environmental cleanup liability;
- Appealing a tax decision to the IRS concerning the consequences of a mishandled retirement rollover;
- Defending a national bank against claims of fraudulent conveyance by the state superintendent of insurance;
- Bringing claims to cancel a nationwide franchise agreement for the construction of recreational facilities;
- Bringing claims against a manufacturer for failure to pay retroactive premium insurance adjustments;
- Bringing claims to invalidate pharmaceutical patents on behalf of a generic drug manufacturer.
Jeremy Bartell has also handled over 30 criminal matters. To learn more about the litigation practice, give us a call. We'd be happy to put together a proposal for handling your litigation matter efficiently and economically.